Saturday, March 5, 2011

New Bike - Performance Access XCL 29r

I recently decided to retire the commuter bike (an old Specialized Crossroads set up to be as close to a cx bike as possible: http://bikepathwarrior.blogspot.com/2010/04/balls-ride.html) and replace it with something newer. I wanted something that would be:
  • Relatively unappealing to thieves
  • Disc brakes
  • Mountain bars
  • Easy to mount racks and fenders to
  • Cheap
  • Good for bikepacking
I ended up with the Access frame because it met the criteria and even had mounts for the upper part of a rear rack and two sets of water bottle mounts (turns out this isn't the case for the smallest size - the one I bought). Here's what it took to upgrade:
  • Frame $90+$10 for derailler hanger new (ebay - performance was sold out)
  • Shimano hubs/Velocity Blunt rims used $80 (cronometro bike swap)
  • Mystery steel fork $40 (swap)
  • SRAM X7 shifters new $15 (swap)
  • SRAM X7rear derailler new $15 (swap)
  • SRAM X9 front derailler used $0 (had this)
  • FSA V drive extreme cranks used $0 (had this)
  • Cassette used $0 (had this)
  • Chain used $0 (had this)
  • On One Mary bars used $20 (swap)
  • Headset new $10 (swap)
  • Stem used $0 (had this)
  • Carbon headset spacer new $6 (ebay)
  • Oury grips used $1 (swap)
  • Avid levers used $0 (had this)
  • Avid BB7 brakes used $40 (swap)
  • Bontrager seatpost used $10 (swap) 
  • Axiom seatpost clamp with integrated rack mounts new $12 (Machinery Row)
  • WTB seat used $0 (had this)
  • Planet Bike Cascadia fenders used $0 (had this)
  • Racktime rack used $0 (had this)
  • Wellgo pedals used $0 (had this)
  • Cables and housing new $10 (Pricepoint)
  • Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 used $0 (had this)
 A total of $359, but I basically ended up with a mostly new bike with a good spec of components. The fenders and rack took a little effort to install (see pics below) but everything worked out. I really like the Mary bars now that I figured out they need to be rotated down, though they do flex more than I would want for a race bike. I'm very happy with the end result - it's a lot more comfortable and versatile than the old bike.

I do need to buy locking skewers since I'm already tired of using a cable to lock up the wheels and they would most likely disappear downtown if they weren't locked.

Picnic Point in Madison. Note the bar I made to drop the front fender down to the tire. It's a piece of aluminum with a hole drilled in either end. Thanks Sector 67!


I used the spacer provided with the fenders to clear the brake in front.

I also used a spacer on the fender and rack to clear the brake in the rear. Unfortunately this means that the rack is shifted left relative to the wheel but it (just) works.

No comments:

Post a Comment