Friday, October 8, 2010

WEMS Blue Mounds - Three Hour

I didn't feel much like racing Blue Mounds. I had thought about doing the 12 hour again this year but then I decided I'd rather race the three hour after being bored at WEMS Levis Trow. When race day arrived I felt like I'd rather be racing the No Good Double Cross or maybe just doing nothing. I got on the bike anyway and, after a le mans start, was in fourth (out of only eight men and one woman). We got to the spot where the trail split, with one trail for the 3 hour and one for the 6/12. Though they meant well, the person who was at the split directing us was pointing to their right (the correct direction) but yelling "right" (the right direction from their perspective but the wrong direction from ours). We went to our right and there was chaos when we figured out the mistake.

Photo credit: www.tjharronphotography.com

Pointed back the right direction, I soon passed the two riders in front of me and thought I was in second. I came back through the start in 34 minutes and no one said anything about what place I was in. I headed back into the woods and started wondering if I'd see the first place rider. Then I flatted both tires at the same time. One small cut in each tire that the Stan's couldn't seal for some reason. Having only one tube, I started hiking out. I ran into Walt at the road crossing and he donated and installed the second tube. Thanks Walt! To make a long story short, after another lap I  flatted again (this time the valve stem tore out of the tube) and decided to call it a day. Turns out I was in first when I flatted the first time around. Lesson learned: you can ride Blue Mound on XR1s but not at race pace.

Congratulations to Ana for dominating the women's three hour!

Photo credit: ArisaemaDracontium from CORP

No comments:

Post a Comment